Also known as Alexandria Market House & City Hall, Alexandria City Hall houses the mayor's office and has significance for American and architecture history buffs alike. In 1749 the site was home to a market and beginning in 1752, a courthouse. George Washington was a justice of the court and a town trustee before the Revolutionary War. City Hall was added in 1871 by prominent German architect Adolph Cluss. A fire destroyed it in 1871, but the beloved building underwent a full renovation and remains a replica of the original.