Tax Day got you dreaming of beach escapes and tropical drinks? The timing couldn’t be better: While it may only be mid-April, summer is just right around the corner and it’s time to start getting serious about your vacay plans. No idea where to begin? No worries—Hipmunk swan-dived into its data to pinpoint the best time to buy your summer 2018 flights.
US travelers should book their summer travel the week of April 23 to maximize domestic flight savings—do so and you can save up to 12 percent compared to those who wait until mid-June, when booking prices for summer peak. Need more convincing? Booking your summer holiday flights the week of April 23 can save up to 16 percent on Memorial Day and 14 percent on Fourth of July flights.
More Summertime Stats:
- Booking prices for domestic flights for summer travel are up 4 percent when compared to equivalent booking window last year (Jan 1 – April 14, 2018)
- Booking prices for international flights for summer travel are up slightly (+1 percent) when compared to equivalent booking window last year (Jan 1 – April 14, 2018)
- Booking prices for summer flights to Europe from the US are up 2 percent when compared to equivalent booking window last year (Jan 1 – April 14 2018)
- The most expensive day to fly in the summer is Sunday, June 10 at $386
- Least expensive is Sat, Aug 25 at $224
- If you miss the April 23 “buy-by” week, the general rule of thumb is to book three weeks in advance of departure for summer flights to save up to 14 percent.
- Find our International Summer Travel Report here.
Fourth of July:
- Looking to avoid crowds? Eight percent of all summer bookings are for Fourth of July
- Three of the four busiest summer departure days revolve around Fourth of July:
- Friday before Fourth of July (June 29, 2018. At $322 avg., it’s also the most expensive departure date for those traveling for the Fourth of July)
- Saturday before Fourth of July (June 30, 2018)
- June 22, 2018 (the Friday the week preceding)
- Thursday before Fourth of July (June 29, 2018)
Ready to get away?
Latest posts by Kelly Soderlund (see all)
- 7 Fabulously Frightening Haunted Hotels - September 29, 2019
- Plane or Train - September 20, 2019
- Your Best Holiday Flight Itinerary: When to Buy + When to Fly - August 26, 2019