We analyzed millions of summertime flight and accommodation bookings to reveal five hacks that can save travelers up to $500 this summer
1. Utilize Fare Alerts. Hipmunk users that booked summer flights after receiving a fare alert saved an average of 9 percent on booking prices when compared to regular booking prices on the same routes.
2. Book an Airbnb. The median booking price of a hotel during the summer? $160—ouch. Choose an Airbnb instead and save an average of 37 percent ($59 / night). Average length of stay during the summer: 3 nights.
3. Consider Basic Economy. Basic Economy might not be everyone’s first choice, but if you’re looking to save money on airfare, a basic economy or LCC may be the best way to keep both your travel wishlist—and wallet—on track. We compared booking prices by route and found basic economy summer flights are 36 percent cheaper on average than economy flights.
4. Depart on a Tuesday. Summer travelers that booked a RT domestic flight that departed on a Tuesday saved an average of 7 percent on booking prices when compared to the most expensive departure day (Thursday).
5. Book Travel 3 – 4 Weeks in Advance. Summer travelers saved an average of 16 percent on RT domestic airfare when flights were booked 21–28 days in advance of departure date.
Total Savings: $509